The Jolly Sailor public house

Plaque unveiled May 2012 by comedian Kevin Day

This plaque marks the site of the first public building in South Norwood. It was built in 1809–10 and opened in 1810 as a public house, the first landlord of which was John Gaywood. There was little else in South Norwood at the time except brickworks and farmland. The current workshops extending along the high level path behind the Jolly Sailor were originally the site of the Royal Sailor riding school and livery stables, where the South Norwood Volunteer fire brigade stabled its horses.

 

 

 

The unveiling ceremony

Kevin Day, local historian John
Hickman and Jolly Sailor managers Hung and Xuan.

Website sponsored by


valuation.kilostate.co.uk

Thinking of selling or letting?
Start with our FREE instant online valuation
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter