Women’s Suffrage Plaques Unveiling Event
Date: Saturday, 21 October 2023
Time: 3:00 PM
Location: Plaques at the building housing Costa Coffee
Address: 251-253 Selhurst Rd SE25 6XS (corner of Oliver Grove)
We are delighted to extend a special invitation to you for an event that celebrates our local history with the remarkable contributions of two outstanding women. As part of our ongoing heritage trail initiative, we will unveil two plaques as a tribute to the pivotal roles played by Ethel Fennings, a Suffragist, and Mary Pearson, a Suffragette, in advocating for women’s right to vote. This history is intertwined with the legacy of our community as their fight for women’s suffrage was in the vicinity of South Norwood Clocktower.
We have placed multiple plaques commemorating individuals and artefacts that are integral to our local history. A few notable examples funded and erected by People for Portland Road include:
- The Norwood Junction Subway – an engineering marvel as the world’s inaugural reinforced concrete underpass
- The location of the Jolly Sailor Inn – a significant milestone as South Norwood’s earliest public establishment
- The London to Croydon Atmospheric Railway – a historical railway route that traversed through South Norwood
- William Walker – the renowned diver who played a pivotal role in rescuing Winchester Cathedral
- Introduction of the honourees by John Hickman, local historian
- Presence of guests, including the Civic Mayor, Sarah Jones MP, and Steve Reed MP with participation of Councillors and other notable community figures
- We Love SE25 and Stanley Arts, who both played their part in making this happen, will also be in attendance
- Plaques designed locally by Ken Baker
- Reception: Following the unveiling ceremony, we invite you to join us for a reception at South Norwood’s Brutalist Library. This gathering, hosted at Lawrence Rd SE25 5AA, will feature delightful refreshments courtesy of Little Mouse Cheesemonger
RSVP and Contact:
Please RSVP to – email@example.com so we can manage the event successfully.
Your presence will contribute to the celebration of our local heritage and the incredible achievements of these inspiring women. We look forward to sharing this meaningful moment with you.